KENYATTA UNIVERSITY- DAAD In-Country/ In-Region Master’s and Doctoral Scholarships Available for 2019/2020 Academic Year
Kenyatta University is pleased to announce M.Sc and PhD scholarships available through the German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD) funding support. DAAD promotes international academic exchange as well as educational cooperation with developing countries through various funding and scholarship programmes. These scholarships will benefit scholars from Kenya and the Sub-Saharan African region to pursue studies in selected M.Sc and PhD Programmes as highlighted below. The scholarships are tenable for 2019/20 academic period that will commence in September 2019; therefore, only candidates available to start the training during this period should apply.
2.List of Eligible Programmes/ Study fields
The scholarships are open to students who are interested/ registered in the following programmes:
- M.Sc in Renewable Energy Technology
- PhD in Biotechnology
- PhD in Environmental Planning and Management
Details about the above programmes and the requirements are accessible here.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates. Female applicants, candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
3. Duration and commencement
Scholarships are available for up to a maximum of two years (Master) and three years (PhD) and will initially be granted for one year but may be extended upon individual student request using a specified form to be provided by DAAD.
4. Application Requirements
- Applicants must have completed their last university degree less than 6 years ago at the time of application.
- Must be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- A signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template
- A signed copy of this DAAD Information Sheet for Students
- Certified copies of all university degree certificates (scanned PDFs)
- Certified copies of all university transcripts (scanned PDFs)
- An admission letter including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only), or an official letter assuring admission
- For Master candidates only:
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages in PDF)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned PDF copy)
ix. For Ph.D. candidates only:
- Ph.D. research proposal including a detailed work plan (10 to 15 pages); plagiarism will be checked and limited to maximum 24%.
- PhD proposal must demonstrate relevance to development.
- Recommendation letter by head of department indicating that you are a present or prospective member of staff and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university (scanned PDF copy)
- Confirmation of study leave from your university (if applicable; scanned PDF copy)
- Confirmation of teaching release (university staff members only; scanned PDF copy)
Note: all documents should be scanned and sent as one PDF document
5. Application Procedure
- Applications for Admission to Kenyatta University to be sent to:
The Registrar (Academic), Kenyatta University
P.O. Box 43844 - 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Application forms for admission to Kenyatta University and other information is available at http://www.ku.ac.ke/admission/prospective-students
6. Application Timelines
- All applications for scholarships must be received by end of day on 8th February 2019.
- Pre-selection for scholarship will be carried out at Kenyatta University by 28th February, 2019. A short list generated will be sent to DAAD for final shortlisting.
- Pre-selected candidates will be required to log into the DAAD portal to register and submit application documents by March 31st 2019 https://portal.daad.de/irj/portal
- Final selection of scholarships will be carried out by DAAD by Mid May 2016.